- 2½ pounds Nappa Cabbage
- 2½ teaspoons Salt
- 1 head of Garlic
- 1 inch of Fresh Ginger
- ¼ cup Soy Sauce
- ⅓ cup Sugar
- ½ cup Korean Chili Powder (Kochukaru)
- 3 tablespoons Fish Sauce
- 4-5 Scallions
- 1 Carrot
- Food processor
- Air-tight Jars
1. Core and cut nappa cabbage into 2-inch pieces.
2. Wash cabbage pieces and drain excess water.
3. Add salt into cabbage pieces and toss throughly.
4. Let the cabbage sit for 1-2 hour at room temperature.
5. Peel garlic and ginger. Then add garlic, ginger, soy sauce, sugar, Korean chili powder (Kochukaru) and fish sauce into food processor to process until smooth.
6. After 1-2 hour, squeeze nappa cabbage to drain excess water.
7. Cut scallions and carrot into 2-inch pieces.
8. Mix well chili paste with nappa cabbage, scallions and carrot.
9. Tightly pack vegetables into a big jar and cover with cheesecloth.
10. Put the jar at room temperature away from direct sunlight and let ferment for 5-9 days according to personal taste.
11. When kimchi is ready to serve, store it in air-tight jars and keep in refrigerator.Kimchi juice can also be stored in order to make dishes like Kimchi Pancake.